2017/02/18

Musicality

So I randomly came across to this web and challenged myself for those not-so-special compatibility test. It's personality based on music taste, like what I'm listening to, what kind of preferences I like. It's one of those average tests that lets you choose between options but the weight of your results actually lies behind every options. And truth be told, I'm pretty much skeptical about these kinds of tests. But since it's about music, I'm in.

The results are interesting. And surprisingly, they're mostly right about my personality. I'm mostly categorized as a liberal person, enjoy fine arts and indie/foreign films, and a creative person.

It's quite fun. Try it out here yourself if you haven't.

And as you can see, I enjoy rap and hip-hop a lot haha. I find something calming in raps, not the other way round. Folk music or jazz indeed have these vibes that makes you feel relaxed, like your problems are postponed within the hour. On the contrary to what I feel, rap/hip hop music always have strong lyrics and rappers have their own rhythms and pitches, like somehow I feel special listening to what kind of message they're trying to send across. I know you might not understand what I'm talking about, but it feels like that to me. I'm blessed with sharp ears, so I can distinct various voices if I have listened to them enough. And just like that, I can differ many rappers' voices.

Rock music will always be a part of my musical genre history. I started to like boybands when I was 5 or 6, I remembered getting two copies of Westlife albums. But when I turned 10, especially when I start to learn classical guitar, I found instruments were interesting. I remember finding Arctic Monkeys before they get super famous, before they even released their debut album. Then there were Panic at The Disco, Orson, The Servant, Franz Ferdinand, a lot more, they were in my playlist (I didn't have an iPod, instead I had this red music player with a small screen, which Dad got me from Germany if I'm not mistaken). Back when people were not used to with social media profiles, I used Myspace regularly to find new artists or just for new updates. Things like Spotify wasn't a thing back then, so I usually bought the physical albums. Mostly in cassettes, I was a 13 year old students so I had no money to buy the CD version. I carried my Sony walkman to school. It took an hour journey to go to school so I always listened to music, one artist per day. The old feeling of rewinding the tapes when you're done with one side, is hard to explain. Due to excessive listening to loud music, my eardrums were infected. It was a fun memory. Except that I got told off a lot. 

Now my musical genres are getting more varied, but I still use my old boombox to play cassettes and CDs. I subscribe to Spotify premium as well, but there's just something about collecting physical albums. My collections are not that much but they're all my selected favourites, based on the albums's songs and the albums' art. I like the feeling that I collect music but also collecting the art of the album itself. Okay, that would be all. Didn't realise I wrote this much. Have a good day!





0 comments:

Post a Comment